Ghosts & Japes

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Ghosts & Japes

Postby JapesofGrapes » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:42 pm

Hello! We've released a small game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaSalNaoQy0
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lost in the forest, the rain pours down. Nightfall setting in...

... But you see a faint light in the distance...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Ghosts & Japes, you will explore a cursed house... Fighting ghosts, collecting treasure, and trying to survive as long as possible.

FEATURES:
- A FREE GAME!!
- A pathetic protagonist!
- Hungry Ghosts! (Obviously.)
- A spooky cursed house with procedurally generated rooms!
- Money, Items, and other things...?
- Plenty of dialogue to get distracted by while fighting for your life!
- Externally loaded files! You can add your own ghosts!
- More externally loaded files! You can also add your own rooms!
- ... And sounds! (It's cause the files are loaded externally.)
- Hardcore mode! Watch as the progress you painstakingly made gets eaten by a bunch of hungry ghosts and now yOU HAVE TO RESTART AAAAA!!!!

Spoiler: show

Download the game! Play the game!! Share your favorite ghost!!! ... Make a ghost...?
((When you download the game, please extract it into a folder.))

DOWNLOAD HERE: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ILMXq7HpR23_jthnPKNkS3fuGptmkTcD/view?usp=sharing

Credits:
PROGRAMMING

Cammy

ART

Cammy

Japes

RAO(らお) < https://twitter.com/RIORAO >

CHARACTER DESIGN

Cammy

(Maw and Seraph)

Japes

(Japes, Angello, Bunnygeist, Friend, Kaishi, Lulla, Magi, Spiriserpent, Spookobold and Tsughos)

(Ghost-Naru and Ghost-Plain)

MUSIC

Moonkey

PLAYTESTING

M.R. Orlando

spzi

Captain Chara

Cownugget

RicoPushii

Jayanto

... and more anonymous friends

Support us, or find more of our content here:
http://charcuteriedev.com/

https://www.patreon.com/user?u=104207763

https://www.youtube.com/@user-vu6gr3tl6u

https://www.furaffinity.net/view/55976544/
Last edited by JapesofGrapes on Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JapesofGrapes
New to the forum

Re: Ghosts & Japes

Postby MarsKnight » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:00 pm

An interesting idea, we will study it, wait for feedback.
MarsKnight
New to the forum

Postby Cinquint » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:57 pm

... Wow. It's a good year for vore games, eh?

This game is very cute. I love it immediately.
One of these days, that fish is gonna get what's comin' to 'im.
Cinquint
???

Postby JadeThePanda » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:10 pm

Very cute game, but difficult. Would recommend.
Just a lesbian furry that likes willing endo/reformation stuff.
JadeThePanda
Somewhat familiar

Postby Eniel » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:26 pm

JadeThePanda wrote:Very cute game, but difficult. Would recommend.

yeah, game hard
in testing builds only hardcore mode existed
WHAT
Eniel
Been posting for a bit

Postby GoliathBastet » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:53 pm

hmmmm its fun but when I get to the fourth room on easy there are way to many ghosts and to little healing any chance you can boost heart drops from pots? I think I've gotten 3 out of 12 runs so far.
GoliathBastet
New to the forum

Postby Anonno » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:10 pm

For some reason, the game appears in the same resolution as it's pixel art and I get an extremely small window, without the option to resize. I've pressed the shortcuts to get fullscreen for Windows, but it doesn't seem to work.
This is about the size of the window. Perhaps a bit bigger.
Edit: Wait nevermind, it explains it in the tutorial.

Fun, but challenging game.
Last edited by Anonno on Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonno
Somewhat familiar

Postby Eniel » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:12 pm

GoliathBastet wrote:hmmmm its fun but when I get to the fourth room on easy there are way to many ghosts and to little healing any chance you can boost heart drops from pots? I think I've gotten 3 out of 12 runs so far.

try rounding them up and catching them all at once. it's easy to look past but you DO get HP back from siphoning ghosts
WHAT
Eniel
Been posting for a bit

Postby VirtuosoViking » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:21 pm

Oh this looks pretty cute. Feel like I've seen this kind of style for a similar game, but I can't put my finger on it. But anyway, I'm looking forward to trying this out.
When it comes to most bosses, thank god for obvious, glowing weak spots.
VirtuosoViking
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Eniel » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:26 am

VirtuosoViking wrote:Feel like I've seen this kind of style for a similar game, but I can't put my finger on it.

Same artists behind an indev game that was known as LifeIsWeird
WHAT
Eniel
Been posting for a bit

Postby VirtuosoViking » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:25 am

Eniel wrote:Same artists behind an indev game that was known as LifeIsWeird

Oh yeah! That was the game. Nice, cool to see that this isn't their first venture for a vore game.
When it comes to most bosses, thank god for obvious, glowing weak spots.
VirtuosoViking
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby JapesofGrapes » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:42 am

VirtuosoViking wrote:Oh yeah! That was the game. Nice, cool to see that this isn't their first venture for a vore game.

And it won't be the last either!
JapesofGrapes
New to the forum

Postby Eniel » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:44 am

NOTE FOR PEOPLE LOOKING INTO MODDING THE GAME
Most instructions regarding how to do as such can be found in the included readme. New ghosts will only be recognized once they have a .json file.
So far, the game supports ease of access for adding in ghosts, rooms/layouts, and new SFX.
...And modification of pre-existing dialogue, if you for some reason want to do that.
Also UndertaleModTool can't modify assets in the data.win file I already tried that
Have fun.
WHAT
Eniel
Been posting for a bit

Postby LambdaFreq » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:15 am

Pretty good game! What surprises me the most is how polished it is, haven't encountered any errors from the layout or strange sprites yet. Note that my thoughts of the game are simply my opinion, just speaking my mind here in case you wanna hear feedback on this game.

I like the gameplay loop, but it is as some people have already said, pretty difficult. The mechanics are easy to understand, but the game asks you to "get good" right away.
The interactions with ghosts are cool, but these can be a bit too wild to my taste, sometimes being dragged across the screen or kept in place depending if the game wants me to do high damage or not. I'm aware that you get some control over them, but it feels more like "if you are lucky when pressing WASD, you might not get dragged" kind of deal.
the HP steal you get from damaging ghosts is perfect though, you can leave rooms with more health than when you entered them if you get good enough. I like that.

Could be cool to see more variety on map layout, the room full of possesed chairs was pretty neat. Maybe chests surrounded by pitfalls, and you need to reach them by riding a ghost. Rooms that let you use the game mechanics differently, pretty much.

From what I read somewhere, it's apparently not intended for people to recharge the house's power. But you can technically do so by simply restarting the game/going to main menu and back. I've also seen that it charges back up when you go to the next floor/level.

Some of the rooms have pretty tight corridors and nothing else, can become easy death traps depending on how many/what type of enemies you get. Impossible to circle around or deal with enemies separately.

Upgrades have very high prices, id say too high sometimes. Some of them, like seeing the house's power, are barely significant when you have a battery icon on the top right already, and some others might not even be worth it in the first place, like the friendly ghosts upgrade (I need to experiment with it more... but i cannot notice any difference in behavior).
Getting something to fight off ghosts on narrow corridors (example: push ghosts ability (has cooldown), longer stun times, lower stun cooldown...) would give it a bit more variety and fix other potential issues. Items can get a sale sometimes, from what ive experienced, but tends to be a rarity. For now I think the only equipment/active item ive seen is the drill, right?

Can't wait to see what your team cooks in the future! You seem to be doing a new project already.
LambdaFreq
New to the forum

Postby TribusInTheDark » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:38 am

i love it, good job!!!! <3
TribusInTheDark
New to the forum

Postby gigaredpanther » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:31 pm

Okay, these pred designs are just so cute! And I'm always a sucker for dialogue and flavor text. I ended up liking this a lot more than I expected!
Not really a request, just an idea I'm throwing out there, but this feels like the kind of game where a 'bestiary' feature would be nice. Look up each enemy, learn their names, see fun stats like "# of times swallowed by', '# of times digested by', maybe even '# of Hardcore runs they've ended'
...And of course you gotta have goofy little descriptions for these lovable preds! You know, like an entry for the basic floor one bunny enemy could read something like:

"A newly-created ghost, they haven't quite figured out how to be spooky yet. It would be nice if they could learn alongside another new ghost! ...Care to volunteer?"
We get: To eat you
You get: Eaten

-Tyranid Diplomat
gigaredpanther
Somewhat familiar

Postby JapesofGrapes » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:50 pm

gigaredpanther wrote:Okay, these pred designs are just so cute! And I'm always a sucker for dialogue and flavor text. I ended up liking this a lot more than I expected!
Not really a request, just an idea I'm throwing out there, but this feels like the kind of game where a 'bestiary' feature would be nice. Look up each enemy, learn their names, see fun stats like "# of times swallowed by', '# of times digested by', maybe even '# of Hardcore runs they've ended'
...And of course you gotta have goofy little descriptions for these lovable preds! You know, like an entry for the basic floor one bunny enemy could read something like:

"A newly-created ghost, they haven't quite figured out how to be spooky yet. It would be nice if they could learn alongside another new ghost! ...Care to volunteer?"

Cammy will take this idea into heavy consideration...~
JapesofGrapes
New to the forum

Postby JapesofGrapes » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:49 pm

LambdaFreq wrote:Pretty good game! What surprises me the most is how polished it is, haven't encountered any errors from the layout or strange sprites yet. Note that my thoughts of the game are simply my opinion, just speaking my mind here in case you wanna hear feedback on this game.

I like the gameplay loop, but it is as some people have already said, pretty difficult. The mechanics are easy to understand, but the game asks you to "get good" right away.
The interactions with ghosts are cool, but these can be a bit too wild to my taste, sometimes being dragged across the screen or kept in place depending if the game wants me to do high damage or not. I'm aware that you get some control over them, but it feels more like "if you are lucky when pressing WASD, you might not get dragged" kind of deal.
the HP steal you get from damaging ghosts is perfect though, you can leave rooms with more health than when you entered them if you get good enough. I like that.

Could be cool to see more variety on map layout, the room full of possesed chairs was pretty neat. Maybe chests surrounded by pitfalls, and you need to reach them by riding a ghost. Rooms that let you use the game mechanics differently, pretty much.

From what I read somewhere, it's apparently not intended for people to recharge the house's power. But you can technically do so by simply restarting the game/going to main menu and back. I've also seen that it charges back up when you go to the next floor/level.

Some of the rooms have pretty tight corridors and nothing else, can become easy death traps depending on how many/what type of enemies you get. Impossible to circle around or deal with enemies separately.

Upgrades have very high prices, id say too high sometimes. Some of them, like seeing the house's power, are barely significant when you have a battery icon on the top right already, and some others might not even be worth it in the first place, like the friendly ghosts upgrade (I need to experiment with it more... but i cannot notice any difference in behavior).
Getting something to fight off ghosts on narrow corridors (example: push ghosts ability (has cooldown), longer stun times, lower stun cooldown...) would give it a bit more variety and fix other potential issues. Items can get a sale sometimes, from what ive experienced, but tends to be a rarity. For now I think the only equipment/active item ive seen is the drill, right?

Can't wait to see what your team cooks in the future! You seem to be doing a new project already.

Thank you for the feedback!
We plan to make it so the first floor has a lower active number of ghosts, before returning to the default values on the 2nd floor and above.

In regards to the dragging mechanic, each ghost has their own pull duration, some pull longer than others, some less.

For more room layouts, that's super easy to do... In fact, anyone can add their own custom rooms!
If you simply make a sprite within the resources\sprites\_progen folder, it will be automatically compiled and added upon the game starting back up.
Be sure to use the KEY index image within the game files to copy the pixel colors accurately.

We will likely add more rooms in the next update as well.

In regards to the small corridors, most of those have a lower ghost count overall in comparison to rooms with more doors/dead-end rooms. We could lower that, but the other rooms of the same type that are more open would also become much easier as a result...

The power system only lasts per floor as usual. And of course you can reset the entire floor by rebooting the game. But your progress will not be saved.

We may adjust the shop prices as we go... That part was particularly difficult to balance.
Item cost variation is due to the prices increasing the further you go.

And yes, currently the only other equipment item is the drill, we plan to add some other options.
JapesofGrapes
New to the forum

Postby Ottots » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:18 pm

JapesofGrapes wrote:
VirtuosoViking wrote:Oh yeah! That was the game. Nice, cool to see that this isn't their first venture for a vore game.

And it won't be the last either!

Is Life is Weird available to play too? I thought I would have found it on the patreon, but I only saw Ghost & Japes, which btw is really fun.
Ottots
Been posting for a bit

Postby Assassincreed4 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:04 pm

How many floors is there or is it endless floors?
Assassincreed4
New to the forum

Next

Return to Vore game